Late Addition to the Calendar!

Intimate Baroque

Sunday, September 25, at 6 pm in the Chapel

The Epiphany Seattle Music Guild will present a concert of French baroque music featuring six of the most noted baroque performers in the Puget Sound area: sopranos Madeline Bersamina and Rebekah Gilmore; Ingrid Matthews, baroque violin; Janet See, baroque flute; Juliana Soltis, viola da gamba; and Jillon Stoppels Dupree, harpsichord.

Dupree will play a harpsichord donated to Epiphany Seattle by long-time parishioner Bill Hoppin in loving memory of his wife Bonnie.

Advertisements

Instruments at Epiphany: The Harpsichord

In 2010 a spinet harpsichord was donated by parishioner Bill Hoppin. It proved to be of insufficient carrying power in the church, so in 2014, Mr. Hoppin donated a full-size, Flemish-style, double harpsichord (two keyboards) from the workshop of Frank Hubbard in Boston. Its exterior finish was restored in 18th-century antique style under the direction of parishioner and antique specialist David Weatherford. It is currently at home in the church but moves easily to any location.

—Thomas Foster, Director of Music

Instruments at Epiphany: The New Steinway

An anonymous donor has presented Epiphany Parish with an historic Steinway piano made in 1901 at the Steinway workshop in Hamburg, Germany.

From the Steinway website:

Master to apprentice, generation after generation, every Steinway is built with experience decades in the making — by artisans who take pride and time to humanize a piano still made by hand, who strive for and achieve continuous innovation and improvement. Every Steinway & Sons grand and upright is a masterpiece of craftsmanship and a consummate work of art. Each Steinway piano, consisting of more than 12,000 individual parts, has its own musical character and is as unique as the individual who plays it.

In 1836, the German cabinet and piano maker Heinrich Engelhard Steinweg built his first piano in the kitchen of his home in Germany. More than 400 pianos followed within the next decade.

In 1850 Steinweg and his family emigrated to the United States of America. After changing the family name to “Steinway,” Henry Engelhard Steinway and his sons founded the company of Steinway & Sons in a Manhattan loft on Varick Street. In 1856, Steinway & Sons opened the first Steinway Hall on 14th Street. With a main auditorium of 2,000 seats, it became New York City’s artistic and cultural center, housing the New York Philharmonic until Carnegie Hall opened in 1891.

To reach European customers who wanted Steinway pianos, and to avoid high European import taxes, William Steinway and C.F. Theodore Steinway established a new piano factory in the German city of Hamburg in 1880.

In the intervening years, the great majority of concert pianists have chosen to play Steinways.

In 1988, the time-honored company celebrated its 135th anniversary and presentation of its 500,000th instrument during a gala at Carnegie Hall in New York. In 2003, at its 150th anniversary, there were worldwide celebrations; a highlight was a spectacular concert event held at Carnegie Hall in New York, featuring artists from the musical worlds of classical, jazz and pop.

Although all Steinway pianos are unquestionably top-quality and revered instruments, the “Hamburg” Steinway carries with it a certain caché which usually results in special attention by both the player and the listener.

—Thomas Foster, Director of Music

Hear the 1901 Hamburg Steinway in action at two recitals this summer! Read more here.

Instruments at Epiphany: The Organs

The organ in the church was installed in 1997 by the world-famous American firm of the organ builder Fritz Noack. It has 36 stops, and the playing action is mechanical, meaning that the connection from the key to the pipe is by a system of long “trackers.” This design, patterned after European organs that have been playing for several centuries, allows for optimum control of the speech of the pipes from the player. The tonal design of the Noack is influenced by the warm and noble sounds of the American organ builders of the 19th century.

The organ in the chapel, installed in April of 2016, is the latest work of internationally-known, Tacoma-based organ builder Martin Pasi. Its construction is based on the same time-honored principles of the organ in the church. It is optimally located in the front of the church behind the freestanding altar. The organ has two manuals and 18 stops. Martin Pasi ranks among the foremost organ builders of our time.

—Thomas Foster, Director of Music